About Wake Up and Read
In 2012 key leaders from education, business, civic, philanthropic, and nonprofit agencies came together in a focused effort to increase childhood literacy in Wake County, North Carolina. Affiliated with the national Campaign for Grade-Level Reading, WAKE Up and Read was formed as a community-wide collaboration focused on the goal of having all children reading on grade-level by third grade.
WAKE Up and Read is a collaborative effort to engage and educate Wake County about the importance of childhood literacy and to increase access to literacy resources and opportunities for all children.
Every child in Wake County is inspired, equipped, and empowered to read.
As a community collaborative, we embrace these values collectively:
1) Literacy is the right of every child.
2) Community collaboration increases access to literacy resources.
3) Every child deserves high quality learning experiences.
4) Literacy is achieved and enjoyed in multifaceted, diverse ways that respect the individual needs of each child.
- Bonnie’s Book Foundation
- Books Are Magic
- Delta Dental
- Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce
- Marbles Kids Museum
- North Carolina State University
- Reach Out and Read
- Read and Feed
- Telamon Head Start
- Triangle Community Foundation
- United Way of the Greater Triangle
- Wake County Libraries
- Wake County PTA
- Wake County SmartStart
- WakeEd Partnership
- Wake County Public School System
– Board of Education
– Equity Affairs
– Office of Early Learning
– Social Work
– Title I
- Women’s Club of Raleigh
- YMCA of the Triangle
- Youth Thrive
- Dawn Dawson, Wake County Public Schools Office of Early Learning
- Carolyn Dickens, Motheread, Inc.
- Hardin Engelhardt, Marbles Kids Museum
- Lori Krzeszewski, WAKE Up and Read Administrator
- Nicole Lambert, Wake County Libraries
- Carolyn Merrifield, Reach Out and Read
- Sherri Miller, Wake County Public Schools Literacy
- Teresa Pierrie, WakeEd Partnership
- Jane Small, Books Are Magic
- Anna Troutman, Wake County SmartStart
- Angie Wright, Wake County Public Schools Office of Grants